A FARMER HAS BEEN FINED FOLLOWING A WORKER’S FATAL FALL THROUGH THE FRAGILE ROOF OF A MILKING SHED ON THE FARM.
Mold Magistrates’ Court heard how on 19 July 2018 self-employed contractor David Alan Rees was fatally injured whilst he was clearing out the valley gutter from a ladder at Knolton Farm, Overton, Wrexham.
An investigation by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) found that Robert Latham failed to plan the work at height and did not have any suitable equipment available to do the work safely.
Robert Latham of Knolton Farm, Overton pleaded guilty to breaching section 3(2) of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974 and was fined £26,000 and has also been ordered to pay costs of £3922.60 and a surcharge of £170.
Speaking after the case the HSE inspector, Mhairi Duffy said “There are no winners in this tragic case.
“Those in control of work have a responsibility to devise safe methods of working and to provide the necessary information, instruction and training to their workers and contractors in the safe system of working. If a suitable safe system of work had been in place prior to the incident, the death could have been prevented.”
This article was published by HSE on 15th May 2019.
BHP Group offers an online business course approved by RoSPA entitled ‘Working at Height’ which covers the safety issues of working at height, and how to assess and reduce some of the risks. You can access a trial for this course via our eLearning portal here.